Alternative
April 19, 2024, 06:16:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Micky Jones

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Micky Jones  (Read 103 times)
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:10:42 pm »

Micky Jones was a founding member and lead guitarist with Welsh Prog rockers 'Man'. Sadly, in March, he died from a brain tumour after a long illness. On Saturday, i had the pleasure of attending a tribute concert. A fantastic array of musicians turned up and did a spot, including Andy Fairweather Lowe, The Groundhogs, the Green Ray, The Flying Pigs, Deke Leonard's Iceberg and Mickys son George Jones and an array of friends. What a fantastic night it turned out to be, running straight through for 4 1/2 hours.

Goerge Jones played his heart out and watching him, it was like stepping back 30 years and seeing a young Micky Jones play. The resemblance and style is quite stunningly similar, and a young man that will leave his mark one day. George played with most of the bands on lead and when Iceberg played, we were treated to a superb version of 7171 551 with George Jones, Deke Leonard and the truly remarkable Brain Breeze all playing the same chord in absolute unison and perfect timing, an excellent performance from all three with each taking their turn to solo during the song.

Man featuring Deke Leonard and the great Mick Jones on 7171 551

I had the privilege of meeting Deke Leonard and Micky Jones back stage at the Lanchester Polytechnic back in 1974. Both were absolute gents and chatted over a beer after their set for nearly an hour. I was saddened by Mickys death, but the assembled entourage of musicians did him proud, but more especially George.

RIP Micky, at least within your son, the legacy lives on.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: