Alternative
March 28, 2024, 06:22:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How The X-Factor has changed the music business for ever

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How The X-Factor has changed the music business for ever  (Read 216 times)
TG
Administrator
Hero

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Windows User Combination
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:03:49 pm »

Anyone in any doubt about the commercial importance of The X-Factor need look no further than the album and single release schedule for this Christmas.

Link

I'd rather confess to sprinkling patchouli oil on my least dirty pair of socks as a student than own up to watching this shite but the truth is that I have watched a couple of episodes.

It's banal entertainment rather than a serious music programme and I tended to dismiss it as irrelevant. I never followed 'popular' music and the only charts that were of any interest were the album charts but if this article is true then times have truly changed.

If hype wins then surely music loses?
Report Spam   Logged

1st Gent. Our deeds are fetters that we forge ourselves.
2nd Gent. Ay, truly: but I think it is the world that brings the iron.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lippytarian
Hero

I am a banana

Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:16:49 am »

My daughter likes it. She's 9. I can see the appeal of the show to children, but like so much of what is broadcast, its appeal to all the adults who watch it is a bit more of a mystery. I've got quite a good ear for the human voice, and some minor semi-professional interest in the way performers use the stage, the microphone, deal with the pressure. But even so, week after week of the same thing with a few scant minutes of actual content spread over 150 minutes every weekend is far far more of this than I need to satisfy my own curiosity.

It is primarily an entertainment and should be seen as such - certainly Cowell and the others behind the show are comfortably aware of this. Perhaps the greatest surprise is that the most gifted singers do actually win. Leona Lewis in 2007 and Alexandra Burke last year. This year Lucy Jones will win. She has a beautiful singing voice. Crystal-clear, pitch-perfect, effortless. And a persona and stage-presence to match. The one thing she lacks is that cringe-making desperation, that all-consuming mania of the sacrificial lambs to hurl themselves onto the high altar of celebrity. If she is booted out you don't get the impression she'll be out the back of the studio opening the nearest available artery.

"Music" is not degraded by this latest incarnation of Opportunity Knocks. There is more diversity and more fragmentation now than there has ever been. Making music and publishing it so wonderfully available. If the X-factor winner automatically gets the coveted Xmas No1 slot each year then so what? It used to be all there was and now it hardly means a thing. It in no way inhibits anything else from happening.
Report Spam   Logged

Be careful what you ask for - you might get it
Tattie
Hero

Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:03:35 am »

Slightly ashamed to say that I've never watched it, but I have been hit by some of the spray.

I'm a Strictly...etc man, confident that it has changed ballroom dancing for ever Cool 
Report Spam   Logged

Maybe this world is another planet's hell !
TG
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:24:56 pm »

My daughter likes it. She's 9.

My nearly nine year old son is the the reason it is on in our house. He thought I would like 'rock week' so I watched it with him. Some reasonable moments I thought but plenty of dire television moments. Not much rock.

I also tuned in to watch Robbie Williams. Mrs G wants to go to one his his concerts. She's been before and wanted me to go with her. I wasn't impressed.

"Music" is not degraded by this latest incarnation of Opportunity Knocks. There is more diversity and more fragmentation now than there has ever been. Making music and publishing it so wonderfully available. If the X-factor winner automatically gets the coveted Xmas No1 slot each year then so what? It used to be all there was and now it hardly means a thing. It in no way inhibits anything else from happening.

Fair comment. It's onlly one avenue.(As for Xmas No 1. Hated last years version of hallelujah, my favourite is John Cale.)
Report Spam   Logged

Lippytarian
Hero

I am a banana

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:29:58 pm »

I also tuned in to watch Robbie Williams. Mrs G wants to go to one his his concerts. She's been before and wanted me to go with her. I wasn't impressed.

He was coked off his ****! Even my daughter noticed.(And so was Whitney Houston the following week.) Being a live broadcast does at least give it a certain edge.
Report Spam   Logged

Jane
Senator

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 12:44:44 pm »

Most on the thread are singing from the same scornful hymn sheet e.

You probably belong to the minority who dislike it  Given the shows ratings one doubts if they are all parents switching on for their children or teen to twenty something' s

It is just is light entertainment; undoubtedly it has changed the pop industry but not forever. In ten years we may see akin to past  methods. Then again we may witness an entirely new concept.

Jane Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
TG
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 01:26:31 pm »

It is just is light entertainment; undoubtedly it has changed the pop industry but not forever.

Yep. However, when I did tune in to watch, I was expecting more music than soap opera. I not surprised that it is popular, not because it's good, but because other soaps, Coronation Dale, seem to attract large audiences.
Report Spam   Logged

TG
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:10:31 pm »

Interesting twist in the fight for the Number 1 slot.

Either way people seem willing, if not keen, to be manipulated.
Report Spam   Logged

Lippytarian
Hero

I am a banana

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 06:42:41 pm »

Either way people seem willing, if not keen, to be manipulated.

No. The point is that people have got together and reclaimed the charts from Cowell and his plastic pre-fabricated juggernaut.

For the first time since, well, since records began, the X-Factor winner has NOT automatically gone to number 1 for Christmas. Instead, thanks to an internet campaign aimed squarely at Cowell's corporate monopoly, we have the not very nice and the very sweary Rage Against the Machine 1992 ditty "Killing in the name". Cool. That'll have the nation choking on its Christmas lunch. If only John Peel was alive to see this.

Rage Against The Machine have beaten The X Factor finalist Joe McElderry to the Number One position in the UK singles chart.

The US band's 1992 track 'Killing In The Name' sold more than 500,000 copies – beating McElderry's release 'The Climb' by over 50,000.

Popularity for the track swelled thanks to an internet campaign rallying against Simon Cowell and manufactured pop. A Facebook group, which 980,000 people joined, asked participants to buy 'Killing In The Name' throughout last week so it could beat 'The Climb' to the top of the charts.

Responding to the popularity of the campaign, Rage Against The Machine promised to play a free UK gig if the track did go to Number One – a pledge they have now maintained to honour.

Guitarist Tom Morello said:"As promised we will play a free concert in the UK in celebration of this incredible upset victory over the heavily favoured X Factor single."

X Factor judge Simon Cowell, meanwhile, has admitted he is "gutted" that McElderry has been beaten to this year's Christmas Number One by Rage Against The Machine, though he told the Daily Mirror he was "genuinely impressed by the campaign".
Report Spam   Logged

TG
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 07:20:22 pm »

No.

Really? I would like to think so but I don't.

The point is that people have got together and reclaimed the charts from Cowell and his plastic pre-fabricated juggernaut.

Did they or is a case of looking for a bandwagon to jump onto.

Mildred: What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny: Whaddya got?

Both Cowell and his detractors pitched their idea at the public in the hope of gaining support. That's about it.

I don't much like the sanitised disney music that Cowell inflicts on the nation but I don't see how his current support act getting to number 2 rather than number 1 is going to change anything.
Report Spam   Logged

Lippytarian
Hero

I am a banana

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:27:52 pm »

It's a David and Goliath thing. It's an internet thing. It's something that never could have happened a few years ago. And it is a reminder that the corporate pimps and whores of the entertainments industry don't always have things their own way.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: