Alternative
April 18, 2024, 08:13:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Journey

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Journey  (Read 105 times)
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« on: October 04, 2009, 11:24:23 am »

One of the bands that I followed for the last 38 years, were back in town last night for what will without doubt, be the last opportunity to see the original line up on stage together. last time I saw Mott was at the Colston hall in Bristol in 1971, on a tour where they were promoting their last album with Island records, Brain Capers.

It was just after this that the Band split because Island weren't prepared to promote them any longer. Their loss. At the time, it was 'Free' that was being heavily financed, and were a success. Ironic really, because had they promoted Mott with same enthusiasm, the band would have been a hit for the label. Instead, they signed a pact with the devil when Bowie suggested they reform under his management team. They regretted the Mainman deal, it cost Mott and Hunter especially, a fortune as Bowie greedily seized most of the profits. After a few frenzied years, the band started to fray from the pressure of work and the egos that ultimately come from success. First Mick Ralphs left the band, followed by Hunter, after which the band suffered a slow demise as the rest of the band tried to keep it together. It didn't last and Mott fell apart in 1977.

In reality, Hunter was just a engine for Mott, but the group as a whole were not complete without all the band members. So when Ralphs and Hunter left, it was the end of the band. That was 1974. When the band started to disintegrate, the arguments that would stop the band reforming for another 35 years came to play. Hunter fell out with Ralphs and it would be 30 years before they appeared together again. he also fell out with Dale Griffin, or Buffin as he was known, and that row was so deep seated that Hunter would not even want to talk about him. Ironic really, because it was Buffin that tried his hardest to heal the rift.

There were a number of reasons why fans wanted to see Mott reform, the main one being that as a live band they were fantastic, especially in the early Island days. I have never witnessed the sort of reaction to a band by their supporters. It was strange that they could pack out halls, but their records just did not sell. But it is the cult status that the band had during their Island years that is still present.

So explaining a few things, fast forward to now. last night was full of highs and lows. When the band hit the stage, the whole of the auditorium stood up and welcomed them on stage, and stayed firmly on their feet for duration of the two hour show. The band covered virtually the whole of their years together, not concentrating on the hits, though they were all played. Hunter sounded a bit ropey for the first few songs, but soon found his voice and did a fantastic set. Ralphs was never a brilliant guitarist, he was competent, but he has improved over the years and one or two good solos. The other members of the band, Overand Watts on bass, Verden Allen on Hammond organ and sadly, Buffin was unable to play the full set on drums. he has Alzheimer’s and his space was filled by Martin Chambers from the pretenders. They did set up Buffins drum kit for the encore and he did play a couple on a couple of songs. But there was also Stan Tippens who was the original lead singer on backing vocals, and as a surprise, Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott joining in for a verse of 'All the Young Dudes'.

But it was about being 'one of the boys', being part of the Dudes all those years ago. Hunter has been almost autobiographical in some of his songs , sharing his angst with the fans that bought the groups records. But last night the songs that made the whole reunion poignant were 'Hymn for the Dudes' and 'The Journey'.

The lyrics of Hymn for the dude have a verse :

I got an idea
Go tell the superstar
All his hairs are turning grey
Star-spangled fear
As all the people disappear
The limelight fades away
Cos if you think you are a star
For so long theyll come from near and far
But youll forget just who you are (yes you will)

You aint the nazz
Youre just a buzz
Some kinda temporary

Says it all for the fact that it was written 35 odd years ago when his hair was probably going grey!

And then The Journey:

All the changes they will take their time
In the morning dust they'll begin to rise
Halfway to a borderline
Well I can see the end
For the very first time

Well I know I lost just a little bit on the journey
When my mind's been split by little things that didn't fit on the way
Oh I know I lost just a little bit on the journey
'Cos I'm trying so hard to get home.

When you reach the point that you want to be it is Journeys end. Waiting 38 years to see a band that you had such deep rooted respect and admiration reaching the end of the road is sad. Mott were a part of my youth and last night brought the realisation that you cannot relive it, it is just a nostalgic trip into the past. But last night was something that I didn't want to miss, the rock n' roll circus was back in town for one last time, something that has left me feeling elated and dispirited.

Must be getting old.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lippytarian
Hero

I am a banana

Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:46:49 am »

Sounds good, this "being a fan" lark. I've never been interested in music in that way.

But I did see Martin Chambers once, years ago, at a Pretenders gig in Ipswich. He broke loads and loads of drumsticks - dozens - enough for it to stick in my mind. Is he still doing that - or did someone maybe have a quiet word with him about deforestation?
Report Spam   Logged

Be careful what you ask for - you might get it
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 12:07:01 pm »

Sounds good, this "being a fan" lark. I've never been interested in music in that way.

But I did see Martin Chambers once, years ago, at a Pretenders gig in Ipswich. He broke loads and loads of drumsticks - dozens - enough for it to stick in my mind. Is he still doing that - or did someone maybe have a quiet word with him about deforestation?

Grin He did try! One or two tricks by throwing his drum sticks and catching them, quite entertaining, but he only did a short drum solo and didn't succeed in breaking anything.

What was quite sad was to see Dale Griffin having to be helped onto his podium for the encore, i didn't know just how badly Alzheimer’s affects people. He looked like a man in his 80's rather then someone who is 61. But after struggling to get him on stage, he managed well with no mistakes. I admire musicians, they can do something that i wish i had  been able to do myself. But Saturday, i thought that considering his problems, it was brave of Dale to even consider trying.

I think that it was Dale made the effort to play, that gave the whole gig it's meaning. I just can't see them doing anything as a group again after this, as i don't think it would be possible. It's always sad to see something that you have followed for years finally come to an end. Individually, the band will still carry on, Ian Hunter tours here most years and for a 70 year old, he is certainly extremely fit.

I suppose from your aspect as a musician, it is just a hobby, though no doubt you get a buzz from it. But for me, music is an art form. It's seeing these people that produce such good studio albums, come on stage and reproduce it. OK, there are effects that cannot always be reproduced, but to get it right in front of thousands takes real professionalism and a lot of guts.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: