Alternative
March 29, 2024, 12:45:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Internet Explorer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Explorer  (Read 258 times)
Tattie
Hero

Badges: (View All)
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:47:56 am »

Anything that cleans up IE7.

It's running/loading very slowly, freezes closes because of "Data Execution"? and just seems a bit of a pain in the arse.
Report Spam   Logged

Maybe this world is another planet's hell !

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:19:09 pm »

I tried IE on my machine as someone told me about problems with data execution problems while browing HTML files on his local drive. It probably isn't your PC that is playing up, to load a page on the forum (it isn't blisteringly fast at the best of times) took IE over 30 seconds for a page refresh where with my browser i refresh almost immediately, between 2 and 3 seconds for a complete refresh, a second for 90% to complete (it is useful with Opera that you have a better method of seeing where the load is being held up).

The best advice is to move to another browser.
Report Spam   Logged
TG
Administrator
Hero

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »

Anything that cleans up IE7.

The Delete key.Smiley

Roger is right. I haven't used opera much but it seems to get good reviews. I use Firefox which is quick and has numerous add-ons including a tab that lets you run a site in IE mode if it prefers that.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:45:26 pm by TG » Report Spam   Logged

1st Gent. Our deeds are fetters that we forge ourselves.
2nd Gent. Ay, truly: but I think it is the world that brings the iron.
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:13:49 pm »

I use Opera, Safari and Mozilla, if only to see if there are compatability issues. All three have their own strengths.

Opera - http://www.opera.com/download/

Safari - http://www.apple.com/safari/
Report Spam   Logged
TG
Administrator
Hero

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:23:57 pm »

I use Opera, Safari and Mozilla, if only to see if there are compatability issues. All three have their own strengths.

Opera - http://www.opera.com/download/

Safari - http://www.apple.com/safari/

What are those two like for virtual memory usage?
Report Spam   Logged

1st Gent. Our deeds are fetters that we forge ourselves.
2nd Gent. Ay, truly: but I think it is the world that brings the iron.
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:14:08 pm »

What are those two like for virtual memory usage?

I've found that sometimes, Opera can be really heavy on memory, at this moment i have 4 tabs open and i am using 33,000K. Safari with just the home page here is using nearly 100,000K. Firefox with only the Mozilla home page is using 40,000k.

I tend to find that it also depends on whether you are busy. checking again with no activity except me responding to this thread, Opera is now using 21,000K; Firefox still on the home page 40,000K and Safari a miserly 5,000K.

Maybe we ought to try a few tests and see if we can up with some results. The Guardian site is heavy on graphics and that may give a better idea of how each browser performs. I will check time to load the site and peak memory usage for each browser, i'll let yoiu know later.
Report Spam   Logged
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:00:17 pm »

Well here is how i tested each browser, purely for looking at one site all under the same conditions:
The start page was the Alternative forum page and the target page was the home page of the guardian.
The time recorded was from when the browser was started to when the load was completed.
The idle CPU usage was while each browser was sitting on our forum page and was the maximum i saw in a 30 second period
The Maximum CPU usage was what i saw during the load of the Guardian page.
The Idle Ram was the maximum usage while sitting on the Forum page
The maximum Ram was while the browser was loading the Guardian page

Opera  Idle CPU 3%- Idle Ram 27,000K - load time 15 secs - Max CPU 98%- Max Ram 45,000K
Firefox Idle CPU 3%- Idle Ram 45,000K - load time 15 secs - Max CPU 98%- Max Ram 67,000K
Safari  Idle CPU 11%- Idle Ram 88,000K - load time 10 secs - Max CPU 88%- Max Ram 110,000K

I have found that Safari can be blisteringly fast to load, but i have had a larger proportion of crashes with the browser, however, there is no doubt that it is good. Firefox and Opera, well you could get a fag paper between the two if you want to. I should add that the version of Firefox i have is 2.0.0.18 and Opera is 9.63.

I find that both are stable and little difference between the two on performance. The only reason i stick with Opera is that it has so many features that come with the browser and doesn't need constant patching with add ons. Some people hate that and think that Opera is bloated. But what most should remember is that most of the functions that they use on other Browsers were developed on Opera before being copied by everyone else.

In the end it is what you are comfortable with. I will stick with Opera because it was my first choice after leaving IE and i still find it is the most complete browser without requiring too many tweaks.
Report Spam   Logged
Tattie
Hero

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:30:40 am »

As you might expect I've looked rather blankly at some of the above and gathered that change is necessary.

How do you do it?Huh?(step by step Kiss)
Report Spam   Logged

Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:54:44 pm »

As you might expect I've looked rather blankly at some of the above and gathered that change is necessary.

How do you do it?Huh?(step by step Kiss)

All you really need to do is go to any of the download pages for the browsers. Firefox is 7mb, Opera is 5mb, i can't remember how big Safari is. Just download which browser you want to try and run the set up programme. At the end of installation, it should configure itself to your internet settings automatically. The only real choice that you need to make is whether you want it as the default browser. The bookmarks that you have in IE can then be imported. On all the browsers, you will find this on the File/import tab on the standard window dropdown menu at the top. I should add that Safari does take some time to load, so you may have to be a little patient!

Then all you need to do is to try it. None of the browsers are that much different in their use, it is only a question of trying each to find one that you feel comfortable with. but if you need help to get started, you can use the following links:

Safari -Getting Started with Safari

Opera -Getting started with Opera

Firefox -Getting Started with Firefox

Hope that helps.
Report Spam   Logged
Tattie
Hero

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 05:00:32 am »

Very helpful

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

zedhed
Administrator
Hero

Level 5 Apple User Combination
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 05:37:34 pm »

You should also look at Chrome. It runs each tab separately, so if the stuff in one tab crashes it doesn't freeze the whole browser. In my experience it runs faster than the others.

zed
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: