Alternative
March 28, 2024, 12:47:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Worst cover by the warbling diva

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst cover by the warbling diva  (Read 181 times)
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:02:21 pm »

Celine Dion has been named as providing the worst ever cover of a song where she sang AC/DC's 'You shook me all night long!" Personally anything she warbles is musically offensive.

Dion effort is 'worst ever cover version'

The sugarcubes and Westlife have also the honour of being amongst the top three worst covers.

So what song has, for you, been utterly destroyed and what is the best cover of a song that comes to mind?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tattie
Hero

Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:36:55 pm »

Celine Dion has been named as providing the worst ever cover of a song where she sang AC/DC's 'You shook me all night long!" Personally anything she warbles is musically offensive.

Dion effort is 'worst ever cover version'

The sugarcubes and Westlife have also the honour of being amongst the top three worst covers.

So what song has, for you, been utterly destroyed and what is the best cover of a song that comes to mind?

Led Zeppilin's cover of Rolf Harris' classic "Stairway to Heaven"Kiss

(run(quickly))
Report Spam   Logged

Maybe this world is another planet's hell !
Riotgrrl
Ambassador

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:45:21 pm »

One controversial one is Jeff Buckleys' version of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'.

Is it a breathtaking new take on Cohen's song of disenchantment, or a ponced up nancification of a bittersweet love song?

(I like it.)

The best covers band are The Lemonheads.  Their versions of 'Mrs Robinson' and 'Different Drum' are pretty good.  Muse's version of 'Feeling Good' I like too, but some people don't.

I don't like Joss Stone's cover of White Stripes 'Fell in Love with a Girl'.  Somehow, the way she sings it, it has a completely different tune.
Report Spam   Logged
Major Bloodnok

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 05:39:58 pm »

Roger Whittaker warbling "Streets of London".

The Coors cover of a Fleetwood Mac hit,"Dreams". 
Most remakes don’t even come close to the magic of their original. But The Corrs do a very tasteful dance mix of this traditional Fleetwood Mac song. Although Andrea is no Stevie Nicks..........

You can say that again...Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 07:23:02 pm »

My personal dislikes are when any of the warblers pick an old song and then musically crucify it, so i was quite amused to see the likes of Celine Dion win the award for the worst ever cover. There have been some dreadful covers that people actually like, i cringe when the good lady wants to listen to her Robson & Jerome CD's, exiting the room quickly when their awful rendition of "unchained melody" comes on. Then there are the really nasties, Donny Osmond on his crap rendition of Pukey"Puppy love", that was already awful in it's original form. What was Paul Anka thinking when he wrote that turkey!

Gareth Gates decimation of Jose Feliciano's 'Light my Fire' was one of pop's lowest points, he really put that one through the mincer and now all i can hear in my mind is "come on baby light my fiyur", abysmal. But there is worse, The Communards and their terrible "Don't leave me this way", Steps tragic "Tragedy" and Whitney Houston's dirge of "The greatest Love of all". The list is endless....

On the good side, there have been some great covers. I tend to agree that "All along the Watchtower" is undoubtedly the best. Being a Pink Floyd fan, Scissor sisters version of "Uncomfortably Numb" would be a surprise to see as a good version, but i do like both versions. Robert Palmer's version of Todd Rundgrens "Can we still be friends?" is also excellent, but the one version of someone else's songs that stands out for me is the beautiful "After the Goldrush" by Prelude.
Report Spam   Logged
Mub
Administrator
Senator

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:59:30 am »

One controversial one is Jeff Buckleys' version of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'.

Is it a breathtaking new take on Cohen's song of disenchantment, or a ponced up nancification of a bittersweet love song?

I actually love Rufus Wainright's version of 'Hallelujah'. I haven't heard the Jeff Buckley version.

To me covers are covers, some good, some bad, some indifferent. I do notice a preponderance of 'popular' acts on the list and then I read who had come up with the list. Roll Eyes

Rogerm, have to disagree with you about the Communards cover of 'Don't leave me this way', one of my favourites. Of course it's a classic from my adolesence and a guaranteed floor-filler at every school disco! I haven't heard of the original, so that helps I think.

Cheers

Mub
Report Spam   Logged
Roger Cooper
Administrator
Hero

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:47:52 am »

I actually love Rufus Wainright's version of 'Hallelujah'. I haven't heard the Jeff Buckley version.

To me covers are covers, some good, some bad, some indifferent. I do notice a preponderance of 'popular' acts on the list and then I read who had come up with the list. Roll Eyes

Rogerm, have to disagree with you about the Communards cover of 'Don't leave me this way', one of my favourites. Of course it's a classic from my adolesence and a guaranteed floor-filler at every school disco! I haven't heard of the original, so that helps I think.

Cheers

Mub

Mub, I think that because pop is really in the doldrums, covers by mainstream artistes are bound to be picked upon, and lets face it most are dire. As far as the Communards are concerned, i just hated their version of Don't leave me this way. I can understand the generation difference, Harold Melvin's version in the 70's was a soul classic. It was then redone by Thelma Houston, which was again an inferior version, so i disliked another rehash of a song that really couldn't have been improved upon. Each to their own i suppose, but i do cringe whenever i hear Sommerfield's cat wailing! I was a DJ for a long time and it was probably more from over exposure to disco music that has turned me against the screeching banshees and the divas who in my opinion ruin good music.
Report Spam   Logged
TG
Administrator
Hero

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:28:59 pm »

There is some tough competition for the worst spot but I heard a programme on R4 today about the ukuele orchestra. Outright winners.
Report Spam   Logged

1st Gent. Our deeds are fetters that we forge ourselves.
2nd Gent. Ay, truly: but I think it is the world that brings the iron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: